Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Make a $3 Topiary

So I wanted a some what tall topiary for the corner of my dinning room, but you know me im cheap and didnt want to pay the stupid prices for them, like $30-50 !! So this is what i came up with for $3


you will need, newspaper, duck tape, dowel rod, brown, green & black paint, hot glue, rocks or something for weight in the pot, flower pot, box, and green spanish moss.

ok we all know how stupidly expensive the styrofoam balls are, like $10 for a big one! no way so this is how i made the balls.

crumple up sheets of newspaper, ball them all together, then wrap in duck tape keeping the ball shape, You can then roll it around with your palm to shape it more.

 Ta dah! it will be slightly lumpy but no big deal, the moss covers it up.


I made 3, You want the bottom biggest ball to be slightly smaller than the flower pot.
Then I spray painted them green, and painted the cardboard box black.
I also painted the dowel rod brown. After all was dry I drilled a hole through the center of the 2 bottom balls to fit the rod through. I drilled the top ball halfway through. Then positioned them on the rod a few inches apart. I glued the rod in the pot and held it while i filled it with sand a sea shells.

Then seperated the moss, and put some hot glue on the ball, then started sticking. Holding it a few seconds to dry, then repeat.
 I put a piece of newpaper over the pot to keep all the little pieces of moss that falls off from getting in with the shells. And after some time and a ton of hot glue and burns later set it on the box and...


It looks awesome in the corner of my dinning room :)

p.s. go to dollar tree :)


No comments:

Post a Comment